Diffrent Ways a Doula Can Help...
Antenatal Doulas can be particularly useful if you are:
- anxious about the birth or becoming a parent and need some extra care
- new to an area and need help finding your feet
- having a difficult pregnancy or have health problems.
A birth Doula can provide
- continuity and support for both you and your partner during the birth of your baby, no matter how long it may take!
- on call service for a month! (2 weeks before and 2 weeks after your due date).
- encouragement and support.
- practical help and companionship.
A postnatal Doula can help during those precious few weeks after your birth to encourage you to find your own way of parenting with confidence. They can:
- give practical support with general baby care
– handling your baby, changing nappies, bathing and just generally be there to reassure you that you are doing the right thing.
- She can help care for your other children to let you concentrate on the baby, do school runs, make light meals, do swimming lessons, basically she is there to make your life easier!
- She can give you ‘Time out’ - to rest and recuperate after the birth. (Mothers who have had the support of a Doula after birth were less anxious, more confident and more likely to be breastfeeding.)
A Doula can sometimes be booked to stay overnight. This could be to look after your other children when you go into labour or maybe to give you a break from sleepless nights!